You may have encountered the message of this error while using your Epson printer. It means that your device has failed to communicate with the internal hardware components. The error may be due to multiple reasons like motherboard failure or hardware failure.
Epson printer error code 0x97 might occur when your cartridges are clogged or disconnected from your printer. A blocked or clogged ink cartridge may prevent your printer from functioning as it should. On the other hand, prolonged use of the printer may result in this internal hardware issue.
Some other reasons for the Epson printer error 0×97 message you encounter is:
- Motherboard problem
- Jammed paper
- Clogged or disconnected ink cartridges
- Faulty print head alignment
- An outdated or corrupted version of printer drivers
If you are looking to fix it follow the following steps
- Clean and align the print head of your computer.
- Check your ink cartridges.
- Use the Printer Troubleshooting Wizard
- Install the Latest Version of Epson Driver
- Try to Update the Operating System
Yes you can, start with the basic troubleshooting steps. Check your printer to see if there is paper jammed inside. Jammed paper can cause internal hardware to malfunction. You should check the printer roller for this.
Follow these steps to check inside the printer if there are papers stuck.
- Step 1: First, cancel all the print jobs then turn off your printer.
- Step 2: Pull out the power cord.
- Step 3: Open the panel of the Epson printer.
- Step 4: Take out the ink cartridges
- Step 5: Check if any paper material is jammed. If there is paper stuck, remove all the paper straps carefully. Get rid of it. Couple back your printer and run a print job to see if it fixed the issue
If it failed to fix the error, disconnect, and reboot your Epson printer.
A simple reboot most times is often enough to fix many common printer issues. Try shutting down and restarting your printer to see if that also works for you. It is simple and solves the error for me 9 out of 10 times.
This is a guide on how to do this.
- Step 1: Turn off your printer and disconnect it from the power source.
- Step 2: Next, unplug all cables from the printer and everything connected to it. These include USB, cable wires, power cords, and ink cartridges. Wait for at least 5 minutes before proceeding to the next step.
- Step 3: Hold down the power button for 60 seconds to release any remaining power on the printer. Then, reconnect and reinstall everything.
- Step 4: Turn on the printer and run a test print to see if it fixed the issue.
If this fails to solve the problem of Epson error 0×97, please try the next possible solution.
- 1 Other Solutions You May Try
- 2 Conclusion
Other Solutions You May Try
If you have tried the quick fixes and still have issues with your printer try these solutions.
Solution 1:Check Your Ink Cartridges
In this case, you need to check your cartridges and clean them if necessary. You can solve this problem by yourself. Here is how to do it
- Step 1: Turn off the printer
- Step 2: Take out the ink cartridges, both colored and black cartridges
- Step 3: Turn on the printer once and now turn it off.
- Step 4: Put the cartridges back in.
Now turn on your printer and do a print test to check. The error should be fixed, and you should be able to print with your printer. But if reinserting the cartridges does not solve your problem you can check the printer nozzle.
To check if the problem is from the print head nozzle, follow these steps.
- Step 1: Tap the Home button of your Epson printer.
- Step 2: Next, click on the Setup option.
- Step 3: After this, you must select the Maintenance option.
- Step 4: Next, select the Printhead nozzle check
- Step 5: A page comprising of 4 colored grids will be displayed. You can identify the nozzle that is blocked from this grid by gaps or faint lines.
- Step 6: In case you find no gaps in the printed lines, choose Done. In case you find a gap in the printer lines or the lines is faint, choose the Clean the printhead option.
- Step 7: Do not turn off your Epson printer until the cleaning process is complete.
You should run a print test to see if the problem is fixed.
Alternatively, you may uninstall and Reinstall Ink Cartridges. When the ink cartridges have not been installed correctly in your device, the error code 0x97 may interfere with its functioning. Removing the ink cartridges and then reinstalling them will be the best approach in this case. This process has been described below for you.
- Step 1: The first thing you should do is to turn on your Epson printer.
- Step 2: Next, lift the scanner cover.
- Step 3: Click on the Stop button. If the cartridge is expended/low, it will be moved to the indicator position. If that is not the case, replace the cartridge by holding the Stop option for 6 seconds.
- Step 4: If the ink cartridge is expended in the cartridge, you will find a tab. Press this tab to lift the cartridge and remove it.
- Step 5: Insert the cartridge again in the holder. Press it downwards until you hear a click. Then Shut the scanner cover.
- Step 6: Tap Stop. Finally, allow the device a few minutes to move the printhead to the home position. When the ink charging completes, the power light will stop blinking.
Check if the problem is fixed or not. If it continues, try the next solution.
Solution 2:Clean and align the Print Head of your computer
Cleaning the printhead can fix the Epson printer error code 0x97 message. The printhead is important internal hardware of your device.
Step 1: Type the control panel in the search box on the bottom and open it.
Step 2: Go to devices and printers.
Step 3: Right-click and click on properties from the options menu.
Step 4: Under the maintenance tab, look for the head cleaning option and click on it
Step 5: Follow the next screen instructions.
Let the printer clean the head by itself. This process may take awhile, do not interrupt it. Wait for the process to complete and then restart the computer and printer. If cleaning the printer does not solve the problem, try aligning the printer head.
Improper alignment of the printhead can also cause the Epson printer error code 0x97. You can fix this internal hardware issue by aligning the printhead. This is a simple process. Just follow the steps listed below.
- Step 1: Turn on your printer and go to the start menu. Next, click on all programs Epson printers.
- Step 2: Select the maintenance tab.
- Step 3: Click on the nozzle check option.
- Step 4: Follow the instructions on the screen of your device to align the print head.
Once the alignment is done, your printer may be fixed. If you are still experiencing the problem, then try the next method to fix the problem on your Epson printer.
Epson printer error code 0x97 can also occur due to dust inside the printer. A dusty printer head or printhead can cause an error in the printer. This dust could result from spilled ink around the sprayer, paper particles within the roller. The presence of unwanted elements within the printer could constitute dust also.
We advise you to clean the internal hardware of the printer from inside gently. You can use a clean piece of cotton, or lint-free cloth dipped in an ammonia-based liquid for cleaning the printer. Please follow the below steps to clean the Epson printer:
- Step 1: Hold down the power button to turn off your Epson printer.
- Step 2: Unplug all the power cables of your printer. Disconnect the printer from the power source and computer
- Step 3: Now, open the case of the printer carefully.
- Step 4: Use a dry cloth to remove all the dust from inside. You can use an air dryer for this is you have one. After this, wet a piece of lint-free cloth in an ammonia-based cleaning liquid.
- Step 5: Put the damp cloth under the print head and move the printer head to the center. Leave the cloth for 12 Hours.
- Step 6: Run the cloth dipped in alcohol on the plate. Then allow it dry. Now you can remove the cloth and close the printer. Use a pin to carefully remove dirt in any hole then close the top cover.
- Step 7: Now, switch ON the printer. You should try printing out any document to check whether the problem has been resolved.
If it has not been fixed, simply continue to the next solution.
Solution 3:Install the Latest Version of Epson Driver
If you’re having this problem with the Epson printer, the issue might be related to your drivers. Faulty or outdated drivers have been known to cause this printer error.
To fix this problem, you are advised to update your drivers to the latest version and check if that helps. This is a simple procedure.
- Step 1: Press the Windows Home button and select the Device Manager.
- Step 2: Once the Device Manager window opens, locate the Print queue section and select it to expand.
- Step 3: From there, find the Epson printer, right-click on it.
- Step 4: Then select the update drive option to begin the update.
- Step 5: Once you are done with the update, turn off your device and restart it.
- Step 6: Try printing out some files to see if the error has been fixed.
If downloading drivers seems a bit tedious to you, you can download third-party software. You might be able to fix the problem by using a third-party tool to automatically update the drivers for you.
Also, a corrupted Epson printer driver can result in this error code on the system. Therefore, you will need to remove the driver and reinstall it again. Go through these steps:
- Step 1: Turn on your Epson printer. Once on, press the Windows Home button and R key together to launch the Run box.
- Step 2: Type devmgmt.msc and then click on the OK option or press the Enter button.
- Step 3: From the Device Manager window, find the Printer queues section, select it to expand on the left panel.
- Step 4: Find the Epson Printer Driver and right-click on it.
- Step 5: Then choose the Uninstall Driver from the list. Once the uninstallation process is complete, try to install it.
- Step 6: To install it, visit the official website of Epson and download the latest version of the Epson printer driver.
- Step 7: After you finish downloading the file, follow the on-screen instructions to install it correctly.
Once you have successfully installed the current driver, restart your Windows computer as well as the Epson printer. You should then try to print to check if the error code still shows up or not. If the method fails to solve this problem, then follow the next one.
Solution 4:Use the Printer Troubleshooting Wizard
The built-in troubleshoot wizard in Windows 10 can help you fix the Epson printer error code 0x97 problem on your computer. Some improper hardware alignment can cause this error for the Epson printer, and a troubleshooting wizard can fix this problem.
With the printer troubleshooter, you can easily get rid of the Epson error code 0x97 on your computer. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Step 1: From the keyboard, press on the Start key and then click on the Settings icon.
- Step 2: Once you are in the Settings window, navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Step 3: From there, go to the Troubleshoot tab on the left panel.
- Step 4: On the right window, scroll down the page and find the Devices and Printers section, select it.
- Step 5: After that, click on the Run the troubleshooter option.
During this process, the troubleshooter will find the error and resolve it automatically by clicking on the Apply fix option. After completing the troubleshooting process, restart the system and then check if the problem has been eliminated or not.
Another effective method you can use to easily resolve the Epson error 0x97 on the device is to download the Epson error 0x97 patch. Here’s how to do just that:
- Step 1: Download the Epson error 0x97 patch or error 0x97 repair utility from the official website of Epson.
- Step 2: After downloading this file, follow the on-screen commands to install it properly.
- Step 3: Once the process is finished, restart the device.
- Step 4: Try carrying out a print run to see if the issue has been resolved or not. If the error continues, try the next solution.
Solution 5:Try to Update the Operating System
If you have tried all other steps detailed in this article to no avail, then update your device’s operating system. You can try to update the Operating System on your computer. Let’s look at the steps I have listed below:
- Step 1: Turn on your device, hold down the Start button and the I key to launch the Settings window.
- Step 2: Go to the Update & Security section and then select the Update tab option. It will be on the left side of the panel.
- Step 3: From the Update window, click on Check for updates. This helps you know if the updates are available or not.
- Step 4: If there are available updates, you will see the Update option. Click on it.
- Step 5: Once it is done, the system will automatically restart. Check if the Epson printer performs correctly or not.
You may have encountered an Epson error 0×97 message while working with your Epson printer. A common cause of this error is a faulty motherboard. This guide has provided you with possible solutions on how to fix it. Now go ahead and fix this issue by yourself.